DISCLAIMER: - This is purely my viewpoint and does not in any way represent the opinion of certain class of people. I also don't subscribe to individual character slandering so I would abstain from taking a direct mention of any individual in this writing.
Every election time, there is a campaign run through various media channels (print, TV) asking people to vote. Symbol of index finger with a mark on it is shown as a very powerful medium urging people to go and use their fundamental right. But every time the election results show a dismal performance of poor turnout. And as expected, it is the urban society which bears the brunt of not having a substantial turnout. What plagues them? Additionally, I have been seeing the growing disenchantment of our youth towards this democratic exercise. Well, being part of both the strata (urban youth), I will try to analyse it from my view point.
I will pose some problems plaguing our current system. But I will try to propose resolutions for some things,(and just not crib) for which I have an answer for and for some things I don't, as they are more of ideological issues and not practically feasible options. Bringing revolutionary change (dismantling the current form of election system, or having a dual party presidential form of government) will be out of question but yes taking the best out of the current scheme of things is plausible.
As an urban educated Indian on the move, I believe, following things, if addressed, could bring me a step closer for me to cast my vote.
1) A Voting system flawed by the mechanism of Voter's list.
I am an Indian on the move. My name appears on the voter list of the place for which I was registered. so If I am at a different place , I need to undergo this administrative hassle of re-registering my name. People experienced in dealing with government machinery know what a hassle it can be. and indeed acts as detrimental to my motivation of taking out time and going to vote which turns out to be SUBSTANTIAL time and not only time. System can be changed if I have a single national identity (passport, PAN card, newly introduced UID scheme) using which I can vote anywhere. Let's use technology to its best to remove as much of human interference as possible bringing more authenticity into the system. Use of EVM was a step forward. Up linking the EVM results directly via satellite communication to central repository could be next. So no need to transport EVMs to a place where it needs to be stored involving further complications. Advent of broadband and DTH systems will help in removing these human interventions.
2) Whom to vote -- nobody is worthy?
I find a college of representatives present in the field. May be I am selfish, and I think which politician will represent my goals. Well who is not? Being urban educated does not mean that I will not have my hidden interests when I decide to vote. off course, rural India goes by the concept of buying vote. Its only urban places, (who form not more than 25% of Indian populace) try to use brains to find something useful coming out of the grand scheme of things.
Well as in corporate environment, there should be a gradation system in place for the current government. What is the Political manifesto of the party who is currently ruling and how much has it performed in its last rule as compared to its political manifesto.
This might work good from a party perspective but what about individuals whom I am going to vote.
2 ways of gradation.
what did politician do for his/her constituency
what did politician contribute in the national scheme of things.
Since, as of now, there is no provision for politicians having criminal cases against them to not to contest elections, there should be a central repository from where I can check the criminal records and then make my decision whether to cast my vote for a particular candidate.
If I know my constituency, I will study my representatives in detail and then will make a judgment. In the end, If I am not able to find a representative, I will have 2 choices who represent the kind of ideology I subscribe too. Either, I will join this bandwagon, or I won't vote. Later seems to be an easy way out.
3) Involvement of youth in Politics
and in the decision making system and not 60+ granddad. When I say youth, it is in the realm of political governance where even 40+ people qualify for this definition. Old people are less susceptible to change and will certainly like to keep things the way they are. One way :- not voluntary but mandatory retirement from active politics (or contesting elections to be more specific) after the age of 60. Election commission needs to take a call. youth will bring about a change and not oldies. Note that change can be for good or bad, which is difficult to say and will depend on the education system of our country. Ours is young country then why is it ruled by oldies? If someone says youth is not interested in running this system, then I would say to remove the grand dads and create a environment where there are opportunities for others to come in. And then the youth will respond.
4) Right of Not to vote.
If Bangladesh has accepted it as a norm in their voting system, why can't we? This might have it's repercussions, so it needs to be studied with different democracies of the world. 49-O(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49-O#Present_Implications_of_Rule_49-O) or the option of not voting does indeed violate secret ballot in principle as of now. But once "effectively" in place, it will act as a major driving force to bring about a change in the present context of things. Through secret ballot, I can express my displeasure on the way my constituency has been run. I will not choose the best amongst worst.
5) Corporate Governance
And its principles to be applied while running a government too. We need educated technocrats and bureaucrats to drive the certain ministries and not politicians. Why do we need to have aviation minister who is indeed a politician taking call on how to run Air India or what is the need of ministry of railways again an elected representative at all? Telecom minister may not know the difference between 2G and 3G networks, but are very efficient in getting money out of it. Off course, department of home , defence and finance needs a ministry of elected officials who need to make policies which is good for the country. This means shedding that extra flab (moving government control out of areas which it is not supposed to do). Or Government coming out of unnecessary areas. How this will influence my voting patterns? This will bring more transparency in the auditing and businesses will then run with profit and loss motive. Railways and Airlines were not created for mass employment and they don’t serve any social purpose. Governments role should be to enable businesses that will give employment and make sure that they serve the good of all the entities involved.
6) Well this is more of ideological issue apart from being a pertinent question. Do priests in temples, mosques, churches make money more than it is required when they are in position? They are serving god. Well some say, things have changed now and even the godmen are making money. I cannot argue on the same as this will drive my discussion in a different direction. You cannot make more money than required when you are politics. You serve for the good of mankind and for the good of society. Well, nobody can enforce this upon the people. Want to make money, get into corporate world. This is an open question and may not have any concrete solution. But this will certainly influence my voting pattern. I don’t want people getting elected and squandering my hard earned money which I give as income tax in scams. Greed no more my friend.
All said and done, system needs to adapt to the changing patterns. Off course there will be resistance and mostly from the one's whose position will be endangered when the common person is more empowered and in a better position to take decisions. What THEY want is a delusional state of existence and make their way out. What WE want is being part of a revolution.
Friday, March 04, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment