Friday, August 29, 2008

waah ustaad waah

After watching the movie "Mumbai meri Jaan", I was awestruck on the simplicity of the movie and the intricacies of human thought it portrayed.
Hats off to Nishikant Kamat on coming with such a beautiful spectacle on the celluloid that is simply a treat to watch.

I liked the end of the movie a lot.Not like every other feature where everything is good, hunky-dory in the end and you go home smiling with tears of joy. Well some would certainly say that this is the purpose of the movie. For me movie is not a way to relax. Its a medium, and a very potent medium to make people think. And for my case I prefer the kind of movies that will make me think and could relate it to the real life.

The movie ended on a vey simple note,with a song from the old Hindi movie CID

"Aie Dil hai mushkil jeena yahan,
Jara hat ke, Jara bach ke,
Ye hai Bombay meri Jaan"

With the song in the background and real life pictures of the serial blasts in Mumbai local trains.

The various stories interwined in the feature
1) An IT professional whose sense of paranoia makes him look out for a life better worth living.
2) A news reporter, reminiscent of the current masala news channel, and the way she copes after becoming a victim.
3) A small time Tea vendor who is caught up in a dream world until he is ostracized by the socially affluent class
4) A Police inspector who is seeing his life and his dreams crumbling in front of him but is helpless and cannot do anything
5) An unemployed youth who takes up the cudgel of doing ethnic cleansing on himself.

And a common police inspector on the verge of retirement, who still finds hope amidst this chaos.

I dont think that any ways this movie salutes the so called undying spirit of Mumbai. And I dont even subscribe to this thought. I would define this as insensitiveness or "who even cares" attitude. The bottomline is, I dont care what happens to this world, I have a stomach to feed and I will have to run for my work. Come what may.That is the harsh reality and we dont want to come out of this vicious circle.

1 comment:

garima said...

very true.
the best movie review i have evr read.