Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Music : food for thought

As musical instruments, I consider Piano and violin as very beautiful instruments. Their beauty lies in the fact that the emotions that they can conjure up within a human heart. A feeling of love, feeling of sadness, feeling of joy.

Lately I have been hearing to a lot of musical soundtracks and was trying to recollect some of them where these 2 instruments have really shown their prowess.

At the top, I will rate the theme song from movie Schindler's List. Listening to violin in the movie will make you cry.It does convey a lot of emotions.And the most inherent is the feeling of sadness and helplessness.Just close your eyes and listen to the same and feel whatever you want to feel and it will take you to that pinnacle. Even the movie too makes you feel the same way. The violin in the movie is played by Itzhak Perlman. This music conveys so much of sadness and feels like as if violin itself is crying.

I also heard the piano from the movie Love story. The music of the piano contains a lot of sadness in the same.I believe on the youtube, some of the music pieces played on the piano other than the movie soundtrack are brilliant.As the movie piece is a mixture of lot many instruments. Frankly, the movie was not that strong as its music.

Also looking on the youtube, I came across some of the piano pieces which have been described as Relaxing music.And they are indeed so relaxing. No more sadness. just plain old simplicity. After listening to these piano music, I felt about the most simple things in life. Like a smile, the rain,sunrise, wind , moon, sleep etc. etc.

I came across a very strange instrument that I never thought can do the same as piano and violin. A bagpiper. And it has been captured beautifully in the movie Titanic. The soundtracks in the movie give a feeling of an unrequited and eternal love. One can feel the same.

One of the soundtrack from the movie titanic that catches your breath and emotion.Piano piece from titanic.

I cant forget to mention the title soundtrack from the movie, The notebook. Very slow and beautifully crafted one on piano.

Some more notable soundtracks/Theme music

- Forest Gump
- Life is beautiful
- Chariots of fire
- Platoon
- Saving Private Ryan

And godfather of all
- The Godfather

All good movies had even greater soundtrack.

Not to mention, on my trip to budapest, I heard the piano in one of the restaurant. And they played Frank Sinatra's My Way. Check the link. I indeed captured it on a video. A very beautiful rendition of one of the classics.

My Way.

Apologies for the background noise. Couldnt help it but wanted to capture this song.

No comments: